GOLF MANOR POLICE DEPARTMENT
(This page last updated 12/14/15)
GOLF MANOR POLICE DEPARTMENT HISTORY
On July 12, 1948, Joseph Magnarini was appointed as the first Police Chief of the Village of Golf Manor. In prior years, the Village was protected by the Hamilton County Sheriff's Patrol. Chief Magnarini was paid the annual sum of $200 for the position. In 1949, Joseph Brechelt was appointed Police Chief/Street Commissioner. As an eight-year veteran of the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, Brechelt would serve the longest tenure as Golf Manor Police Chief at 13 years. In 1949, Golf Manor purchased the Village's first police cruiser, a 1949 Ford.
In February of 1952, Harley Ent was hired as a part-time motorcycle officer. Golf Manor now employed 3 officers including Officer Frank Machen, and Officer Harley Ent. In June of 1953, Golf Manor established a full time Police Department consisting of Officer Bud Cravens, Officer Paul Lucas, Officer Dick Woeber, and Officer John Moore. Officers Cravens and Woeber were motorcycle officers who used their own motorcycles to patrol the Village. In addition to performing their policing duties, the officers employed by the department also doubled as firefighters and life squad members. Unfortunately, In August 1954, Officer Woeber became permanently disabled when a ladder collapsed while he was fighting a house fire in the Village. He required over 30 appointments in surgery as a result of this injury.
In 1962 William Schneyer became the third Police Chief of the Village of Golf Manor. In 1976 Melvin Weber became Chief and served until 1981 when Jack McDaniel assumed the position. In 1992 G. Patrick Olvey was hired by the Village and served until 1997, when Stephen Tilley, took on the role. Chief Tilley had served as a Village police officer and as Village Administrator for several years and assumed the Police Chief duties in addition to his administrative responsibilities.
In July 2000, Golf Manor joined other Hamilton County communities by assigning dispatch responsibilities to the Hamilton County Communications Center. The Dispatcher's position was transition into a Police Clerk position to assist with the ever growing documentation needs of the department as well as coordinating the needs of Mayor's Court.
In 2008, Eddie Taylor was appointed as the Village's 8th Police Chief after
serving 18 years with the Village, prior to that as Lieutenant. In 2015, Chris
Campbell was appointed as Golf Manor's 9th Police Chief when Chief Taylor retired.
Campbell, a Cincinnati native, joined the Golf Manor Police Department in 1996
as a part-time officer and rose through the ranks, serving as Lieutenant since
Golf Manor has always supported our Police Department in staying on top of the ever changing needs of the community. Prior to 1953, the uniform of the department simply consisted of primarily gray or white shirts with black or blue trousers. In 1953, the color scheme was changed to light and dark brown uniforms. In the early 1960's, the department's uniforms again changed, this time to gray trousers with white shirts and white hats, and then finally to the current black and gray uniform with a variation of uniform hats, from a black service cloth to black vinyl to the campaign hat.
Today, many uniform items have been updated due to the changes in technology, Federal, State and local legislation and the procedure in policing, and with the introduction of new materials and equipment. This has assisted the officers in being better equipped to perform their duties while keeping a professional appearance and being functional at the same time. The Village's top priority will always be the safety of the residents and officers sworn to protect the community.
Our Police Chiefs through the Years:
1948 Joseph Magnarini
1949 Joseph Brechelt
1962 William Schneyer
1976 Melvin Weber
1981 Jack McDaniel
1992 G. Patrick Olvey
1997 Stephen Tilley
2008 Eddie Taylor
2105 Chris Campbell